April 10, 2009

The Perfect Purse

I needed a new purse, or at least, I thought I did. The perfect purse that I was carrying around at the moment wasn't so perfect anymore. Large and black, with a pretty pink lining, I was happy with our relationship in the beginning. I could slide a magazine in a side pocket and still have room for my courtesy card stuffed wallet. And yes, I lost my keys and cell phone ten times a day, but I like to carry around a lot of stuff and it was accommodating. Its suitcase like qualities were at a disadvantage in areas occupied by other people. I was constantly knocking little old ladies off balance, and clunking waist high children on the head. It was time for a new purse.

My first stop was Macy's. Past the perfume and cosmetics, there before me was an archipelago of purses. Thirty little islands displayed their goods each in it's own designer name kingdom. Macy's clearly knows the importance of the perfect purse. I wandered around a bit, lusting after several budget busting beauties. Temptation, didn't win this time, and I left Macy's, almost bored with the desire for a new purse.

I slung my suitcase of a purse in the backseat of my car and headed for T J Maxx. There, I found several like minded bargain hunters. We all unzipped zippers, hung straps over our shoulders, and stood in front of the mirror, all in search of the same thing. Not only does it have to hold all of our junk, the perfect purse has to look good, too. A powerful looking purse, some killer shoes, a good hair day, and all you need is a pair of jeans and a simple top.

We participate in this hunt, season after season, hoping to finally find that purse that has all the requirements. They are all the same, even in different colors and sizes, they hold our keys, phones and credit cards. I think it is all in the desire to satisfy that allusive eureka.

I didn't find the perfect purse, that day, but I'm still searching. I just went home and reached into the jumble of my closet and pulled out one that will do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment